Soundbyte 263: RX is life
This week was a sporty week for me. Feyenoord – Ajax : 1-1, Max Verstappen in VS, Texas, Austin, out of the race early and as some people know by now, a big passion of mine, CrossFit. As my son opened his own CrossFit-box, for outsiders, this is the gym, about 1 1/2 year ago, i have become a passionate crossfitter.
Reason for writing this Soundbyte is not about convincing you all, that you should get into CrossFit, all though i do believe you should, but because there are several comparisons to make between CrossFit and the way Luminis is doing business.
1. Make everything scalable. In CrossFit, every exercise is scalable so anyone can get involved. An Olympic athlete and elderly woman can do variations of the same workout. At Luminis one of the key areas of Expertise we have, is the way we believe an architecture should be build around cloud, micro-services, Kubernetes, Docker. It’s all about a scalable architecture ready to grow, adjust, adopt and scale with changing business, especially into the cloud.
2. Divorce yourself from conventional business. CrossFit doesn’t follow conventional wisdom about exercising and losing weight. Traditionally, fitness has been considered a series of activities, like jogging for 20-30 minutes, going to the weight room for four sets of six reps or using a machine to tone your legs. CrossFit brought constant variety and unexpected movements to fitness, establishing itself as a revolutionary form of fitness. Luminis is an Expertise-based company, which already is much different from most other services organizations in our market-space, that are often focused on billable, hours, etc. With Expertise we want to make a difference to our customers. We can help them think out of the box, come up with new ideas, with most often the goal to set them aside from the competition.
3. Got so big others think you’re off your rocker. In the early days of CrossFit people thought that the exercises/workouts in the box were unorthodox, foolish and crazy. Now it makes CrossFit what it is today, very successful. At Luminis we have been engaged in several big/large projects. One of them being the INAETICS, info at http://www.inaetics.org/. As i was not personally there, i can believe people thought that this was way over the heads of Luminis. In the last few month i’ve seen several opportunities come about, that are based on the INAETICS project.
4. Engage and empower your community. CrossFit takes a “power to the community” approach with its thousands of affiliate. Affiliates pay a fee, but then they’re free to operate as they please–as long as they don’t misuse the brand or logo. Here lies a big comparison with the passion Luminis has around ‘Open Source’. We engage with our community by presenting all over the world based on our Expertise and we empower our community by offering Amdatu, info at http://www.amdatu.com/.
5. RX is life. RX is an abbreviation which stands for ‘as described’. When an exercise is performed RX‘d, that means the athlete performs all exercises using the prescribed weight and reps. In CrossFit, all exercises can be scaled down to meet your fitness level, but the goal is to get to a place where the RX is challenging, yet doable. The goal of Luminis and it’s employees is to become Experts. Experts in specific areas, experts on different levels, but with the goal to become The Expert, to become RX.
If you enter a CrossFit box, music is on, most often very loud. As i’m normally more into Supertramp, ELO, Paolo Conte, Katie Melua, etc., for me this was and is still way different 😉
So please enjoy some parody CrossFit music.